Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Monday Check In: Week 1

I have been promising myself I will get fit for too long. I'm sick of making promises and not sticking to them. This time I will follow through.

I just finished my sophomore year of college, and within the two years I've been there I put on about 15-20 pounds. It was the "freshman fifteen" plus a little extra sophomore year fluff. I want to look good, feel good, and fit into my clothes again! Starting in early July I'll be returning to a day camp as a counselor, again. I want to be able to feel confident in the bathing suits and shorts I have to wear everyday.

My diet:
Since last summer I have gone gluten free. Now, before you close out of this page and think I'm some crazy freak who voluntarily gave up bread, I should let you know that I did this for health reasons. I had gotten really sick with rashes, stomach problems, lethargy, canker sores, and a whole list of symptoms that were congruent with celiac and gluten sensitivities. And trust me I had to feel reallyyyyyy sick for it to be worth giving up New York bagels. I got one blood test that told me I was not celiac, but never actually went to a GI doctor because I have a strong distrust in doctors (it's another whole long rant I have that I won't get into now). Lately, even with my lack of gluten, I have been feeling sick so I'm reluctantly going to the GI Wednesday to get some answers.

With that being said, I lost 0 pounds without gluten. Going gluten free DID NOT make me lose ANY weight. Bummer, I know. I do feel and look less bloated though, which is nice. It also made me feel so restricted in what I could eat that it led me to binge more on junk food and eat an excess of dairy products (cheese=my life).

I'm going to try and switch up my diet for a more plant based whole foods focus. Not "vegan" but with trying to implement some of that into my life, without going cold turkey (pun slightly intended). I'll be doing a "What I ate Wednesday" post once a week to document a regular day in the life of my meal plans.

My fitness:
I used to be pretty good about going to the gym, which was a lot harder to follow through with while I was at school. Now that I am back, with practically nothing to do before I start working, I am going to get back into the swing of things. I do not like running, I wish I could pretend like I did and maybe one day I will, but to try and force myself to run now will just get me discouraged from my goals. I prefer group fitness classes, and my gym offers some great ones! I'm going to try and go M-F to at least one class, giving myself a rest on the weekends (my gym closes at 2 on the weekends and let's be real I'll still be fast asleep).

That is my very loosely set plan for the next few months! And I'll be documenting it all here! I'll fill you in on how I'm feeling, if I actually made it to the gym, and of course how many pounds I dropped! Here's to a great summer 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment